Friday 22 January 2016

Seem to be Stuck Down the Rabbit Hole....China for the Tea Party

I have been thinking about the china pieces I need for my Mad Hatter's Tea Party.
There will be ten settings which means ten of everything, plus at least six teapots, plus sugar bowls and milk jugs. 
I have googled and googled in an attempt to find the right china remembering that my scene is very closely adapted from the original look.
Now if the unredeemed Lottery Ticket belonged to me I would not hesitate in commissioning everything by the Japanese artist Miyuki Nagashima. I haven't been able to find a website for her but there are lots of examples of her work if you google her name and pick images.
I have seen her pieces at the Kensington Dolls House Festival on a number of occasions and it is simply gorgeous.


There is also the wonderful work of Teresa Welsh of The China Closet.
Teresa sells on Ebay I have recently discovered and I have long admired her beautifully hand painted pieces. I am not sure if she accepts commissions but I don't think my budget will stretch as far unfortunately.

Then there is Stokseyware, whose work I love. It is very delicate and beautifully scaled but can I really justify £23 for just one cup and saucer when I need ten? Of course if this was my one project I would not hesitate but I have lots of projects. 



I have searched for a miniature china maker whose pieces are more in my price range but have failed miserably. I am now thinking that my only route is Reutter. Not as beautiful as Stokeseyware obviously, and certainly not as delicate, but in a price range that I can justify. Remembering that the plates are for show, it will be the cakes and characters that will be stealing the scene.
There are quite a few designs by Reutter : Yellow French Rose,


Gold Crosshatch,
Blue Onion....


....are I think my favourites and seem to be pretty easy to get in the UK although they are also available in the US.
I think the Reutter yellow set is the front runner at the moment.
I might just have to bite the bullet and buy one set just to see the quality and scale. 

Amazingly I am off to Chicago in April to visit the miniature shows that are held there. Persuaded the husband that we just had to visit Chicago before flying on to Calafornia! So my plan is to wait until I go to these shows before making a decision on the china.

Any thoughts or favourite china maker links most gratefully recieved.





15 comments:

  1. How about using the Chrysnbon teacups/saucers/plates? They are well scaled and easily painted. You could print your own decals to go on them too. Then you could splurge a little on pretty tea sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This looks like the route I may have to take in fact I have bought some de-cal printer paper with that idea in mind. There seems to be a big gap in the affordable but really nice miniature chins range at the moment with many artisans retiring. I will definitely have a look at these sets thank you.

      Delete
  2. No puedo darte un buen enlace, pero quizás encuentres algo de lo que quieres en la feria de Chicago,

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend who I went to university with makes amazing pieces of miniature China she sometimes stands at minatura and Kensington and accepts commissions her makers name is nikki Nakki number she is a member of AIM miniatures and her work is amazing. We both studied ceramics and I really don't know how she has the patient's to produce such wonderful miniatures. Look her work up I'm sure you won't be disappointed, I'm currently working on a 1:24th scale house and she has made made me the most wonderful miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina, I have emailed Nikki this evening. I have a few of her pieces in other projects and agree with you her work is lovely. I saw her work a couple of shows ago but couldn't see any tea sets I didn't think about a commission. Thank you for reminding me abut her.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing the Mad Hatters Tea Party.The plates and cups could be done with Chrysobon, they look very effective with decals and then sealed with gloss. Finding teapots would be a major challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's the tea pots and cups that I am having a problem with. I really want everything to be scaled the same which is really fussy I know but you know what it's like when you have a picture in your mind......

      Delete
  5. I haven't responded much to people's blogs recently but I have been reading and I love what you're doing with this. Regarding dishes, on my trip to Kensington Fair last year I came across True2Scale (http://true2scale.com/decals/ - decals and dishes both available on website) who sold decals for 12th scale plastic cups, saucers and plates - no teapot unfortunately. A pack of decals was sufficient for two packs of dishes. I bought three packs and the price was very reasonable. I was a bit apprehensive about starting this little exercise but the instructions were excellent and I'm very pleased with the way they all turned out. Like very fine china. It might be something worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, I have some plain cups and saucers of the same type I think that I bought when I first started thinking about this project and I may have to go down the de-cal route eventually. You know how we always start out with a vision! Where have all the china miniaturists gone? So many have retired now it seems.

      Delete
  6. The last time I went to the Tom Bishop show Miyuki Nagashima had a beautiful full set of dishes. It included all sorts of serving pieces and cups and saucers. It had a SOLD sign on it. I asked her if she would mine telling me how much it was. $9,050.00 American dollars. PHEW!
    I wondered who buys things like that. They sure don't have a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha,ha!! You are so right but maybe they just haven't done a show and tell!! I would imagine that her full dinner service like the one she has at shows would be a fair few months work so when you look at it like that you can see where the money is but phew, that is a huge investment. Imagine the house it must be sitting in!!

      Delete
    2. "Imagine the house it must be sitting in!!"

      I sure would like to see it and all the rest of the things that person has collected. Those people must want to keep their treasures a secret!

      Delete
  7. Hi Janice! I know just how you feel with wanting the BEST when it comes to fine china and then having to settle for less than. It is a frustrating feeling. You are so right about artisan retiring and so their pieces become collectors items with the prices soaring into the stratosphere!
    I am forwarding a link to PORCELAIN FANTASIES
    http://porcelainfantasies.com/shop.php?p=d%7Cfan%7CC-141B-RC
    this maker DOES make tea sets, in lots of different styles but primarily Victorian. Check her out and see what you think.
    I too LOVE miniature Fine China and can only look at it and *sigh* Good hunting and have fun at the Chicago show.... as I KNOW you Will! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elizabeth we have had so many UK artisans retire this year and there doesn't seem to be any real craftsmen replacing them. My main problem with the china is that I need so much for this project and although I can be a little gung ho at times I am going to Chicago for the first time this year so am trying to save my miniature pennies. So I think the best idea is for me to wait until after my trip to the US and then decide. I still have plenty to keep me busy!!

      Delete

I really appreciate all comments that readers take the time to leave. I try to reply to all of them.