Thursday 6 December 2012

A Not So Shabby Chic Interior.....

I have been collecting together some of the items for the interior of my ornamental dolls house and the interior is taking shape. I have put in the cornice, skirting and false doors. The doors were from kits that I have never used and I took apart all the architraves in order for them to sit flat against the wall.
 The floorboards were left over from Flourish and Blotts and I have waxed them. They look quite reddish here but they are not so in real life. I really like the fireplace which is just the right size for this smallish kit. I must admit the giant hydrangea grows on me more and more!!
 This is a little selection of what I found in my stash that I thought could be placed somewhere in this project. The lantern I bought at KDF but the other pieces I have had for quite a while now and I can't remember whose they are. If you spot a piece that I purchased from you just let me know and I will tag it. Not sure if they will stay in this bay and the cake stands need to be painted yet.
The upstairs 'guest' room with a few finished pieces. I have ordered a single bed for the room which I am hoping to dress myself. I am intending to use vintage handkerchiefs for the bedding with lace edging. They seem to be of the right sort of size and be shabby chic pretty plus there are loads on Ebay for 99p and I shouldn't have to do too much sewing!!  
The downstairs sitting room is also coming together. The sofa is an old DHE model that I bought ages ago for another project that has been long put aside. It is not perfect but will look better with a cushion or two. I think I will also have a dresser in the room although I love the giant hydrangea and don't want to cover it completely.
The white pumpkins are by Lory, one of my favourite miniaturists, just perfect for the mantlepiece. The tray of chocolate truffles is a gorgeous piece that was a must have buy from Ebay that I have not had a place for until now.
The small desk was destined for The Leaky Cauldron at one stage but looks perfect painted for this setting. I will also add a small wall shelf for books and papers.
I have long admired the work of Danny Shotton, who makes the most exquisitely detailed miniature household pieces. When I saw this brass companion set at KDF a few weeks ago I knew it would be a perfect piece for this room. Unfortunately, he does not have his own website and only sells at fairs like KDF and Miniatura but you can see a large selection of his work here. The prices are obviously a lot different on this site compared to buying directly at a fair. I am not sure if his pieces can be ordered directly by telephone.
I have also been busy painting lots of other bits and pieces with which to dress the rooms despite the call of Christmas! I am hoping that my extra roof tiles will arrive tomorrow so I can tick that box and finish off the roof. The annoying thing is that I will be putting up all the decorations this weekend so my house will be putting aside its shades of cream for a while in favour of red and gold so even if I finish the house it will have no place to go until January!












17 comments:

  1. Hi Janice,

    I think it looks fresh and a complete change from your other projects. There are so many shades of white you can't go wrong. Boy, do you work fast though, decorated and being filled already!! I'd be still thinking about how and what I want to do! lol

    We've bought new Christmas decorations (and lights) for the tree etc., to match the newly decorated room! lol

    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,
      Definitely a big change from usual but it has been a fun diversion. I thought it would be a very quick project as I had most of the pieces tucked away. As usual even little projects grow!!
      I hope you get the chance to enjoy a last Christmas in your current home.

      Delete
  2. Loving this little house Janice! The Hydrangea paper really makes the wall pop.

    Hugs,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria,
      I too am loving my giant hydrangea. When I go in my real life room I am kinda disappointed it's not there!

      Delete
  3. It looks like you're putting together a very cozy little house! I am new to miniatures and work in shadow boxes rather than houses (it's a question of $$, really), and I love to see what others are doing with their mini worlds. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, I love shadow boxes too and intend to make a few more in the future. Not only are they cheaper and quicker, they enable you to move on before you get bored!

      Delete
  4. It will be some beautiful room. I love the color of your floor, it looks very warm. Your beautiful flower on the wall is quite amazing.
    Hugs
    Wyrna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flower is my favourite thing. I have ordered a dresser for the room but now I don't want to hide it!

      Delete
  5. This is a very promising start. I love your companion set and also the cupboard in the bedroom upstairs. Look forward to seeing how this progresses. Carol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, I am really enjoying my dip into shabby chic. Still have lots to do but I am going to try and stop myself from over dressing the rooms.

      Delete
  6. looks beautiful and well put together already, I love the big hydrangea on the wall, the colors melt and feel very warm;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, thank you for your kind comments. I love the colours and intend to make some textiles to match.

      Delete
  7. Que fantastico comienzo, me encanta esa hortensia en l apared., los colores.
    Una maravillosa casita.
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janice, I like to see how your Ornamental house is coming along. Those white pumpkins are very original and a great addition to the room. Mini hugs, Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks lovely Janice. The advantage of discovering minis later in life is you have more disposable income to spend on your wonderful new hobby! Still, if you can't afford to buy it, you learn to make it, and that's not such a bad thing.
    Hugs from Canada,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Que original la hortensia en la pared, le da un estilo diferente.
    Un abrazo
    Maite

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just read all your posts on the shabby chic house. Janice, congratz, you have done a great job furnishing this house with your special touches. The interiors look like they belong to some ID magazine featuring summer houses of the rich and famous.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all comments that readers take the time to leave. I try to reply to all of them.